When I made the decision to give up the kid's upstairs playroom for an office/craft room...it was for good reason. ALL of our office supplies, craft supplies, important files, etc. were spread all over the house. In our bedroom, in the kitchen, in the basement, shoved in hall closets, etc. It was a disorganized nightmare.
The whole time I was planning this room, I knew that my mom and I were going to launch The Polka Dot Posie and there was NO WAY I could help run that business successfully if I didn't have a place to store and organize everything.
So I called Daddy-O and we sat down to make some sketches (like we always do). I knew there were certain things this room had to have and I knew that it needed to serve 3 purposes:
1. Be a Home Office where Eric and the kids and I could all work.
2. Be a craft room to organize all of my stuff for personal and business use.
3. Be a guest space when needed.
I realize that's a LOT to cram into one space, but I knew we would be able to make it work. And friends...let me just say...it turned out better than I EVER imagined!!!!
So without further ado, here is my Office/Craft Room...
Every other room in my house (besides the kid's bedrooms) has some variation of red, tan, brown and sage. I love warm earth tones and it's obvious the moment you walk in my front door. So I made one deal with myself. NO RED IN THIS ROOM!
I wanted the space to be light and bright, which is why I went with shades of turquoise, green, gray and cream. I just LOVE IT!!!! I love how everything just comes together from the curtains, to my couch pillow, to my fabulous desk chairs.
But my FAVORITE part of this whole room is my gorgeous desk!!!!! I knew my Dad would make me something beautiful, but this is just such amazing craftsmanship. I wish you could all see it in person.
When we planned the desk, I had an idea in mind of what I needed, and my Dad just made it all come together.
I knew I needed:
1. Lots of file drawers. Some for home files, some for organizing all my craft paper, labels, card stock, etc. I also went and bought fresh hanging files and envelopes to make everything match. O.C.D. much?
2. I also knew I needed a bunch of smaller drawers for office supplies. This picture is just like organization porn to me. Even my drawer liner paper matches my chairs. Ha! I need help.
3. I also knew that I needed shelves above my desk for some books, basket storage, easy-access storage and of course...cute decor or "inspiration". Hence my letters :-)
And these letters were SO EASY to make you guys. I am going to post a tutorial eventually, but here is a little step-by-step picture guide to how I made them.
4. And finally, I knew I needed PLENTY of workspace!!!
This is also why I wanted a two-seater desk. One side for the computer, one side for crafting, homework, etc.
I just can't get over what a BEAUTIFUL job my Dad did on this desk.
And let's not forget he also built this beautiful bookshelf (that was actually from the playroom :-)
He is so freaking talented and I am SO LUCKY to have him. And if you live in the Chicago area...MY DAD IS FOR HIRE!!!!
So the desk is the new and final addition to the Office/Craft Room. Of course you know my other favorite area that was already complete is the Craft Closet...
This space also had to serve a big purpose in the room. It needed:
1. A shelf to store my millions of scrapbooks, along with the file bins I use for each of us for memorabilia.
2. Drawers and plastic bins for organizing ribbon, paint, sewing supplies, embellishments, etc.
3. Drawers for organizing giftwrap and tissue.
4. And the most important item, a mobile craft cart. This pulls easily in and out of the closet when I am working on projects or crafts, but doesn't clutter up my beautiful office.
Ahh...this is just such a WONDERFUL feeling!! A place for everything, and everything in it's place.
Even Howie has a favorite space in this office...
Thanks so much for stopping by and seeing my room today! And a HUGE THANK YOU to my amazing Dad for creating such a beautiful space for all of us. I love you so much Daddy-O!!!!!!